NWQMC banner

Denver Colorado
July 16-19, 2002

MINUTES

Notes:
1)See List of Attendees at end of minutes
2)Powerpoint presentations will be available on the Council's website.
3)Attachments available by request.

TUESDAY, JULY 16, 2002   - ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AGENCY (EPA)
REGION 8 OFFICES
999-18TH STREET, 2ND FLOOR CONFERENCE CENTER
BIGHORN CONFERENCE ROOM
DENVER, COLORADO
,/td>

OPENING AND WELCOME
Welcome to the Council meeting was given by Gail Mallard, Co-Chair, USGS.

WELCOME FROM EPA REGION 8
Nat Miullo, Chief, Water Quality Unit, Ecosystem Protection Program, of the EPA Region 8,welcomed attendees to EPA Region 8 and gave an overview of the programs Region 8 is working on. Nat expressed a real interest in the Council and the work of the Council with the Framework.

WELCOME FROM USGS CENTRAL REGION
Janice Ward, Assistant Regional Hydrologist, gave the welcome for the USGS. Janice gave greetings from Tom Casadevall the Regional Director and Bill Carswell, the Regional Hydrologist, who were not able to attend the meeting. The Central Region managers are very proud of the new USGS laboratory on the Federal Center that was opened just about 3 years ago and are pleased the Council has scheduled the field trip to see the Lab.

EPA REGION 8 PROGRAMS
Jill Minter gave an overview of the monitoring activities in EPA Region 8 for the Water quality unit and monitoring team. (Attachment 1) This group is working with state partners on monitoring strategies. Their focus is on improving data management for data sharing and new technologies. They are also developing State and Tribal fisheries programs. They will be restarting a monitoring work group in Montana. Jill gave a brief overview of each of the states represented by Region 8 and some of the highlights of their programs. See Fact Sheets for Region 8. (Attachment 2) A question and answer session was held and some questions came up about EPA providing a copy of credible data laws in Wyoming and Montana. (Jill will make these available to Council.) See Montana website at   http://www.deq.state.mt.us/ppa/mdm/SCD/scdindex.asp

Tony Selle and Arne Sjodini gave presentation on STORET including a question and answer session. Participants are concerned and asked whether Region 8 participated in the effort between USGS and EPA to develop a seamless approach to bring data from STORET and NWIS together. Karen Klima, EPA, indicated that there is a program that will use the internet to get data from both NWIWS and STORET. Karen indicated that a discussion on this issue is scheduled during the Work Group session on data management.

USGS DISTRICT PROGRAMS
Bill Horak, District Chief, USGS Colorado District, gave overview of the USGS District Programs. Bill discussed funding and agencies that Colorado District is working with on water quality monitoring . Bill discussed the current drought situation in Colorado . (See the Colorado Drought Watch on the District's web page.) There are 20 sites where there are 30 years or more of record.

Don Campbell gave a presentation on Monitoring of High Altitude Ecosystems. Mountains are also the primary water supply in the western United States. They are valuable for reference sites. USGS is involved in this project with Park Service and the Forest Service. Primarily what we are looking for is acid rain and, more recently the importance of nitrogen deposition. They are starting to look at mercury pollution.

Julianne Brown, USGS, gave presentation on Collaborative Water Quality monitoring in Big Thompson Watershed Forum.

MONITORING INITIATIVE
Charles Sutfin, EPA Director,Assessment and Watershed Protection Division, gave presentation on the monitoring initiative. (See Attachment 3 "A National Monitoring/Assessment Approach")

OVERVIEW OF NATIONAL MONITORING FRAMEWORK
Charlie Peters gave overview on the draft National Monitoring Framework. (Attachment 4) The process of monitoring can be looked at as a series of related activities that start with the definition of information needs and end with the use of the information product.

FEDERAL ROUNDTABLE (CENTRAL REGION WATER ACTIVITIES)
Modeled after ACWI Federal Roundtable, this session gave an opportunity for Federal agency representatives to highlight significant agency activities; budget initiatives, water resources issues, and concerns in the Central Region. The following Federal representatives participated in the Roundtable:

Janice Ward, Assistant Regional Hydrologist, USGS, gave overview of Regional activities for USGS. Historical information is available on USGS website regarding droughts. Water quality synoptic studies show where most of drought areas are. Starting in 2003, we hope to add some biological components-some important information on streams during drought is needed. Fire science-two years ago work was done with Forest Service and Bureau of Land Management and this work heightened during the wildfires of this year-there are a number of mapping initiatives for very specific information on fire issues. Ft. Collins Science Center and Bill Horak, Colorado District, working on post fire issues. Area study will look at prescribed burning to control fires. Agriculture practices-looking at confined animal feeding areas, fertilizers, rivers initiatives, and water quality studies.

Barry Long, National Park Service, indicated that there is a water quality Partnership with the USGS that started in 1999 and continues with an approximate annual budget of $2.1 million. In addition, NPS has initiated a national quality water monitoring program funded by the Natural Resources Challenge. In FY 2001 and FY 2002, $1.275 million was used for quality water monitoring in 12 networks, primarily to conduct data gathering and design monitoring plans. Approximately $1.775 will be used for planning in FY 2003, and 17 NPS monitoring networks will be funded. In FY 2004 or 2005, all 32 networks will be funded for quality water monitoring with an approximate annual budget of $2.9 million. (Attachment 5, Overview of Park Service programs for water)

Nat Miullo, EPA, gave overview of activities in EPA Region 8. EPA is in the forefront of voluntary monitoring in each one of the states to get EPA networks out there to help with projects. 2003 remained level in budget area. We are shifting resources to fire and drought. Working closely with U.S. Forest Service on impacts of fire and also with the National Park Service. Considering potential program on pharmaceuticals with Colorado.

Joan Carlson, U.S. Forest Service, stated that the Forest Service's primary focus has been on putting out the fires. Their next job is emergency watershed restoration, and looking at prevention of wildfires in the future. Developing TMDL for restored lands. New national emphasize is to use best management practices. There will be some coordination of getting data from NWIS and STORET.

Treste Huse, National Weather Service, Senior Service Hydrologist, from Boulder, discussed Advanced Hydrologic Prediction Services. NWS is making limited use of long-term climate forecasting, which will produce hydrologic forecasts from several days to several months. It is a long-term service initiative. Funding for FY 2002 is estimated at$1.5M. Website for the Central Region is http://www.nws.noaa.gov/oh/ahps/. (Attachment 6 and 7, NWS Advanced Hydrologic Prediction Services.)

Hal Stanford, National Ocean Service, gave presentation of the Special Projects Office. They are very concerned about making data really usable. National Status and Trends Program data on the web. San Francisco Bay, Chesapeake Bay, Puget Sound projects--data for these three projects are on the web. We plan to include data from other agencies so that data on certain programs come from Federal and other programs. Hal indicated the if Council is interested he can invite colleagues to give presentation on the National Status and Trends Program at next meeting.

ACTIVITIES AND PROGRAMS OF THE COLORADO WATER QUALITY
MONITORING COUNCIL Bill Horak, President,CWQMC, Holly L. O. Huyck, Steve Lohman, and Ben Alexander of CWQMC gave presentations. Handouts at the meeting included CWQMC brochure, Recommended CWQMC Shared Database Information, Flyer for May 2002 Swap Meet at CWQMC Meeting, Purpose and Goals and Planned Actions for 2002 of CWQMC (Attachment 8)

INTERACTIVE DISCUSSION OF MONITORING FRAMEWORK
Linda Green opened discussion and distributed framework presentation from Charlie Peters. (Abby Markowitz will make flipchart notes available to Council.)

FIELD TRIP TO THE USGS NATIONAL WATER QUALITY LABORATORY
Gregory Mohrman, Chief of the Lab, led the tour of the National Water Quality Laboratory at the Denver Federal Center. Participating in the tour of the lab was Timothy Miller, Chief of the National Water Quality Assessment Program, USGS. Handouts at the Lab include sample Surface Water Quality Field Notes, List of acronyms for materials used at Lab; Lab Fact Sheet dated June 2001, Newsletter, and Summary of Lab Data dated July 10, 2002 (Attachment 9).

TRIBAL ACTIVITIES IN CENTRAL REGION
Deborah Patton gave a presentation of the activities of the Inter-Tribal Council of Arizona, Inc. The Inter Tribal Council of Arizona works with 21 tribes in Arizona and across the Southwest. All tribes are very much interested in water issues. Water is sacred to the Tribes and very important. There is concern that water on tribal lands are impaired; especially during this time of drought and wildfires. More than 400,000 square miles of forest on tribal lands have been destroyed by the fires, and until a recent storm in Phoenix, they were 104 days without rain. There are currently issues of political and cultural concerns due to the fires. Funding is minimal for tribal activities. Other than on the east coast, the Inter Tribal Council get calls from other tribes for training and other communication. There is a network of communication; Deborah has a national mailing list. Deborah indicated that Region 9 would like to be involved in NWQMC. Deborah communicated with her partners-all associates that she works with-prior to this meeting to see what they wanted her to present and communicate to the NWQMC. What they want most is to be included whenever we speak of Federal, State, and local partners. They are most concerned that Tribes are included in those considerations. Include tribes in issues; keep communication lines open; and include tribes in what you are doing. Tribal material distributed at the meeting include brochures on Drinking Water and Tribal Water Systems Program, and announcement of Arsenic Drinking Water Workshop sponsored by the Inter Tribal Council. (Attachment 10)

EPA REGION 8 TRIBAL ASSISTANCE PROGRAM
Randy Brown, Region 8, Tribal Assistance Program, gave presentation of tribal activities in the region, and how to work effectively with the tribes-understand the culture, open-mindedness, humor, be flexible, talk early and often, use common sense.

ACWI MEMBER SUPPORT FOR TRIBAL ACTIVITIES
Toni Johnson spoke of the current issues and action items with ACWI on tribal issues. (Attachment 11) Try to organize more activities and meeting with tribes specifically to try to get tribal participation at the next National Conference and in organizing a Tribal Workshop. Toni is the representative to the American Heritage Rivers Workshop. That group is also working to establish tribal communications.

VIDEO PRESENTATION OF CHATTANOOGA CONVENTION CENTER (POSSIBLE SITE FOR NATIONAL MONITORING CONFERENCE, 2004)
Don Dycus presented a video overview of the facilities of the Chattanooga Convention Center as well as the Chattanooga area. The convention center will have about 300,000 square feet when an enlargement to the facilities is completed within 9 months. There are enough hotel facilities in the area to accommodate a large group. Currently, in the April-June, 2004, timeframe, space is available at the Chattanooga Convention Center. In order to have the conference in 2004, a decision on the site must be made within the next 6 months.

PRESENTATION OF AWARD PLAQUES
David Denig Chakroff noted that awards were presented at the National Conference in honor of Elizabeth Fellows. In addition lobby plaques were to be presented at the National Conference for the Headquarters Offices of USGS an EPA. However, the plaques were not completed in time for presentation at the National Conference last May. David, therefore, formally presented the plaques to the Co-Chairs of the Council for the offices of EPA and USGS. The enscription on the plaques reads

NATIONAL WATER QUALITY MONITORING COUNCIL
PLAQUE FOR ELIZABETH JESTER FELLOWS - PRESENTED TO U.S. ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION
AGENCY AND U.S. GEOLOGICAL SURVEY

ELIZABETH J. FELLOWS DEDICATED HER CAREER TO NATURAL RESOURCES MANAGEMENT AND ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION. SHE WAS AN EFFECTIVE ADVOCATE FOR DEVELOPING A NATIONWIDE FRAMEWORK FOR COORDINATING, COLLECTING, ASSESSING, AND COMMUNICATING WATER QUALITY MONITORING INFORMATION AND RESULTS. THE NATIONAL WATER QUALITY MONITORING COUNCIL UNDER THE DIRECTION OF THE U.S. ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AGENCY AND THE U.S. GEOLOGICAL SURVEY, HAS ESTABLISHED THE ELIZABETH JESTER FELLOWS AWARD TO RECOGNIZE AND HONOR INDIVIDUALS FOR OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT.

ELIZABETH JESTER FELLOWS AWARD RECIPIENTS

EMERY CLEAVES
MARYLAND GEOLOGICAL SURVEY
2002

RESULTS OF NATIONAL MONITORING CONFERENCE

Linda Green reviewed the strategies for organizing the National Conference and the outline for workshop and conference agenda. The focus was on having all of the sessions fit into the draft Monitoring Framework. At the end of the National Monitoring Conference in Madison, a session was held on detailing and finetuning the Framework.

Evaluation Results of the Conference were distributed to the group. (Attachment 12) Ratings of sessions and workshops were done on a basis of points, 5 being excellent and poor being 1. Breakdown of attendance shows Federal and State being making up two-thirds of the registration (Federal being somewhat higher than State participation) and one-third of the participants being from private, academia, a non-government organization, Tribal, local, international, and others.

Abby Markowitz, Tetratech, led the discussion on results and other issues about the conference. Each Council member and all who attended the Conference had an opportunity to present their views. David said there was some disappointment on his part about the University participation (Madison is the location of University of Wisconsin). There was a lot of enthusiasm about helping the Council and willingness of presenters. We need to followup; those people are ready to do something productive. Gail Mallard mentioned that we should think how the Workshops are conducted because they were not distinctive from the other sessions. There were extremely good presentations but not really a "workshop." Charlie Peters suggested that we need to integrate the workshops more into the conference sessions. Charlie also indicated that we should think about having more invited speakers. Mary Ambrose said that there needs to be more ground-water monitoring into the sessions. Mary said that she would like to see the report backs on the website in order for people to have a reference and not to rely on their memory of what was said. Herb Brass indicated that it is up to the various work groups to get together and review their contacts and how to best communicate with them. Herb said the international component was significant to the conference because the international participants' contributions added much value to the conference. Linda Green said that the vendors were very pleased with the conference and with the contacts that they made at the Conference. Volunteer monitors are very interested in coordinating volunteer monitoring into the conference.

Robert Ward indicated that they have a draft article for the AWWA Impact publication. This article will be on the Council's Framework and is to be published in the September 2003 issue.

Barry Long said it was evident from the comments of the report backs that each of the work groups have different focuses which might mean that we need to develop new work groups; also that the framework of the Council and that of the Methods Board are different. These are issues to be considered.

Chuck Spooner said he was hearing a consistent theme-communication. This is an issue that all of the work groups need to address. We have 2 years until the next conference, and we need to find better ways in which to communicate with our organizations on the conferences.

Other preparations for next National Conference are:
Prepare a list of what work groups need to discuss in regard to the Monitoring Framework and the next conference.

Prioritize the parts of the cogs that your group can work on.

Gather case studies or success stories that others can take back to their organization for examples that will help them in their work.

Identify issues for a cooperative effort between work groups.

Issues for work groups:
Topics of Issues for Work Groups:
Communication-who should we be in touch with.
Possible topics for products-see 18 and 19 of conference evaluation.
What's in it for the monitoring community.
     Increasing membership constituencies
     Identify products/efforts to work on
     Prioritize work in their cogs.
What do we want to show 2 years from now to indicate what we have accomplished.

TOPICS FROM METHODS BOARD MEETING
Charlie Peters and Herb Brass gave presentations on:

UPDATES

Toni Johnson gave a brief update on the TMDL Science Conference administratively sponsored by Water Environment Federation and scheduled for November 13-16, 2002, in Phoenix, Arizona.

Toni distributed a list of preliminary action items from the ACWI Meeting (Attachment 13) that was held April 2-3,2002, in Herndon, Virginia. It was suggested that we might want to have a mid-year meeting of ACWI before the next annual meeting. ACWI's charter is currently renewed every two years. We need to consider a 4-year renewal rather than every 2 years. The Charter is up for renewal in 2003; in addition, membership is also up for review this year. We have a short time in order to get vacancies filled and have the entire membership approved. There are currently six vacancies; we are trying to get FEMA on the ACWI. All of the memberships rest with an agency or association.

Jeff Loser provided an update on American Water Resources Association (AWRA) and the Ground Water Protection Council (GWPC) ground-water conferences. Check out the website at   http://www.gwpc.org. The AWRA is having two conferences this fall, policy dialogue, Sept. 17-18 in Washington, DC, which is specific to policy issues. They are hoping to attract 400 or more participants. For more information, see website at   http://www.awra.org.

NATIONAL WATER MONITORING DAY
Linda Green circulated the kit that will be distributed for National Monitoring Day. Linda also distributed a brochure of Celebrating 30 years of the Clean Water Act. (Attachment 14) The Council is preparing a letter of support of National Monitoring Day. There is a similar effort to get support from States. This will be a good recognition of monitoring and water quality. Some agencies might invite the public to go along with them to see how they monitor waters and the work they do. The kit cost $17.50 to purchase. A classroom could get one or two kits. Data entry is going to be via the internet. We hope to make this an annual event. The National Monitoring Day data will serve as an educational tool but will not be used as official data by the agencies. ACTION ITEM: Complete draft of letter of support to America's Clean Water Foundation (National Coordinator of the Year of Clean Water and National Water Monitoring Day). THIS ACTION COMPLETED-LETTER SIGNED AND SENT AUGUST 12, 2002 (ATTACHMENT 15).

COUNCIL BUSINESS MEETING

The meeting opened with Chuck Spooner recognizing the outgoing members, Fred Banach and Lyle Cowles.

WORK GROUP OBJECTIVES FOR FRAMEWORK

Water Information Strategy. Robert Ward reported for WIS. Karen Klima, EPA, will head the Task force on Information Infrastructure in support of the framework. Task Force will develop information infrastructure model that fits the framework; prepare impact paper on that concept; and second paper will be on data management Storage systems are going to be linked. Updating is a topic unto itself. We will leave data management where it is on the framework graphic. The third task is to inventory information management tools that already exist. The eletronic sampling logs is an example. Plan to demonstrate case studies at the next 2004 National Conference. Tim Miller is going to work with Karen Klima to identify a USGS co-chair for this task force. Peter Tennant will begin to develop an approach of how to develop data analysis methods. Draft of glossary for review to be sent to Council. The glossary is to be published in the IMPACT publication, September 2003. Letter from Robert Ward and Charlie Peters to Council Co-Chairs on preparation of IMPACT articles (Attachment 20) Glossary will use core terms rather than organization jargon. Another activity that we will be looking at is Chuck Sutfin's request that we assist in development of national framework. Chuck Spooner will get a more detailed explanation of this request from Chuck Sutfin. ACTION ITEM: National Water Quality Monitoring and Asessment Initiative. Council support to assist in development of a national monitoring initiative. More detailed information required. (Chuck Spooner to get details from Chuck Sutfin.)

Collaboration and Outreach. Linda Green reported that they focused on communication strategies. We really need to make a concerted effort to get back to our constituents to let them know what we are doing. This is very important. Each of the work groups are to contribute a fact sheet. It is important to gather all the powerpoint sessions that are presented to the Council so we can put these on the website. It would be good to get all the presentations that were made at the conference on the website. The C &O Workgroup is continuing support for state and regional councils. We would like to organize a meeting for state and regional councils at the National Council meeting. Try to get those councils to the meeting. We discussed the time of year for the next National Conference and decided May would be good. A topic for the next meeting is Expanding the Framework. We are also considering having more invited speakers at the 2004 National Conference. Co-Chairs for 2004 National Conference need to be named. Fred Banach will remain on the work group although rotating off Council as a representative for Region 1. Jim Laine, Alternate for Region 3, volunteered to serve as co-chair for the C & O Work Group.

Watersheds Components Interaction. Jeff Loser reported for the group. They chose not to reverse plans but to move forward in a variety of ways. Plans are to expand topics for work shop to include other issues-- not just a ground-water/surface-water workshop. Plans include a strong workshop developed for the National Conference in 2004. Specific products not yet identified but will be named within the next 6 months. Recommendations were made for consistent methods for models. The WCI Work Group needs to discuss with the Methods Board how the Methods Board has been incorporating models. We had some discussions about how to provide products in support of the monitoring assessment initiative and the TMDL issues. We agreed to identify liaisons to every work group so we will be assured and have a greater awareness of what other groups are doing to ensure better interactions.

Methods Board. Herb reported for the Methods Board. The Methods Board framework is organized to be consistent with the national framework. We will incorporate collaboration and outreach into the MB. Promote implementation of ACWI recommendations by senior managers at Federal and State organizations. Methods Board Work Groups are considering 2 year plans. We will finalize those at our next Board meeting in October or November. There are plans to publish a Board newsletter with Abby Markowitz's help. Newsletter will explain what we are doing. Karen Klima, EPA, will help to update the MB website. Performance Based Management System name changed to Performance Based Systems. There is a real strong desire to advocate PBS and we are considering a workshop. Cliff Annis chairs the PBS workgroup. We need to see how many Federal labs are accredited and will be looking at State labs accreditation.

Interactive Discussion of Framework Abby Markowitz led discussion on Work Groups and the framework.

WIS. Impact issue comprises all of framework. New Task Force will deal with all cogs of framework but focus on the cog labeled "manage data." Looking at focus of monitoring design and inventory data analysis which fits the cog "interpret results." Glossary would fit all cogs.

C&O. State and Regional Councils fits all cogs. National Conference covers all of framework. Impact article covers all aspects of Framework.

WCI. Series of Fact sheets covering all aspects of Framework but focusing on design. Case studies would focus emphasis on "interpret results." Conference Workshop not at the point where it would fit but would cover all aspects of framework.

MB. National Environmental Methods Index (NEMI) really goes all around framework. NEMI goes in "Design and Manage Data."

Discussion on Cog "Conveying Results." Toni Johnson suggested that National Conference and IMPACT article goes to "convey results" cog. Abby suggested that the C&O group find ways to "convey results". Jim Cox indicated that other work groups need to get information to C&O in order for them to convey results. Track 6 papers from the National Conference are on website to convey results.

Information Infrastructure Task Force will examine ways to convey results.

WORK GROUP REPORTS

WATERSHED COMPONENTS INTERACTIONS Jeff Loser reported that Seth Makepeace's participation will change as he has changed position from Representative to Alternate for Tribal issues. Karl Muessig has agreed to serve as co-chair (replacing Seth) with Jeff. Discussed Impact Issue. Result of the conference is bringing new members for the work group. Moderators should thank their presenters. Co-Chairs will send letters of thanks to moderators. The WCI Work Group discussed data comparability. A priority of Council is to get both USGS and EPA to work together on data comparability. We are trying to facilitate a merger of NWIS and STORET. It's quite clear that STORET does not have enough money to keep marketing a system at the pace we need. STORET version II will be out in October; however version III is not on the schedule. The agreement has not been implemented. The Council should prepare a resolution to go directly on the agenda at the next EPA/USGS meeting. (The resolution encourages EPA/USGS to resolve compatibility problems of NWIS and STORET. The proposed resolution for completion of the agreement should go to ACWI. Jim Cox suggested a committee be set up to monitor progress on this issue and with whom to communicate. Barry Long, Karl Muessig, Jim Cox, and Hal Stanford are to establish this committee. They will ask for report at next meeting. The EPA/USGS agreement was distributed (Attachment 16) and the proposed recommendation was distributed (Attachment 17). ACTION ITEM: The resolution will be rewritten for vote by Council. We will then send to EPA and USGS as well as ACWI. Council will have an opportunity to respond within 2 weeks. THIS ACTION COMPLETED. THE RESOLUTION WAS REWRITTEN AND APPROVED. KARL MUESSIG SIGNED THE LETTERS TO EPA AND USGS ENCLOSING THE RESOLUTION WITH A COPY OF THE AGREEMENT BETWEEN USGS AND EPA ON AUGUST 9, 2002. (ATTACHMENT 18)

Fred Banach sent letter to Congressman Kind re approval of his support through the proposed Upper Mississippi Basin Conservation Act. Fred signed letter under his organization and indicated he was co-chair of the Council's Collaboration and Outreach Committee. (Attachment 19) COPY OF LETTER SENT TO COUNCIL VIA EMAIL ON 10/1/02.

UPDATE AND PLANS FOR FUTURE MEETINGS We are going to assume a three-meeting schedule for 2003. Next meeting will be scheduled for early November or December, keeping away from Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays. (MEETING SCHEDULED FOR PHOENIX, ARIZONA, DECEMBER 9-13, 2002.) Second meeting to be scheduled as early in March or April, 2003, and then again in August or September, 2003. Work groups can be worked in between those dates. A Methods Board meeting is tentatively scheduled for late October or early November. (MB MEETING WAS HELD IN RESTON, VA, SEPTEMBER 23-26,2002.) Deborah Patton, new Tribal representative, has offered free facilities for December meeting. See Council website for water-related meetings. PLEASE REMEMBER TO MAKE US AWARE OF SIGNIFICANT MEETINGS SO THEY CAN BE POSTED ON WEBSITE AND TO AVOID CONFLICTS. Council should give consideration to inviting people to Council meetings so that we can give presentation on our activities as well as inviting guests to give us presentations. Create new ways of communication.

REPORT ON MEMBERSHIP ISSUES Lyle Cowles term as Federal Monitoring Representative expired. Lyle's replacement from EPA could represent Monitoring and also fill the Region 9 slot. Charlie Peter's suggested that Lyle's replacement be knowledgeable in EMAP. For replacement of State representatives, a first consideration might be their Alternate. Fred Banach's term on Council expired, but Fred will continue on the C&O Work Group. Paul Currier, currently the Alternate for Region 1, agreed to step up as representative for Region 1. Deborah Patton, who also gave a presentation at this meeting, has agreed to be the Tribal representative to the Council. Deborah also mentioned that she would fit best on the C&O work group. Deborah replaces Seth Makepeace as the Tribal representative. Seth will serve as Alternate for Tribal issues. Region 8 is also vacant and Deborah will propose candidates for the Region 8 slot. Formal letters will go to the organizations of those agreeing to serve on Council for approval.

CONFERENCE PLANNING COMMITTEE Plans are underway to organize National Conference for 2004. We need to name Co-Chairs and people to work on Committee. Abby Markowitz put together a list of conference responsibilities, and timeline of tasks to be accomplished. Timeline should really start 18 months before the conference. As a business manager, Chuck Spooner will be Co-Chair. Role of conference committee has esentially been a "steering committee." Chuck Spooner suggested that we have contractors rather than a sponsoring agency to organize conference. . We do need someone to write the checks and take registration funds. One of the early agenda items for the conference planning committee is whether conference should include other sponsors. Judy, I suggest deleting some of the material because I'm not sure that Chuck can pre-select the contractor for the conference.

The following agreed to work on the Conference Planning Committee-Don Dycus, Hal Stanford, Charlie Peters, Abby Markowitz, Jim Laine, Herb Brass, and Linda Green.

CLOSING Gail thanked EPA for the facilities, especially Jill Minter in assisting with arrangements for the meeting as well as presenting the overview for EPA Region 8. Gail also thanked Bill Horak, USGS, for arranging presentations from USGS and the Colorado Council.

Judith B. Griffin
Executive Secretary

Attachments:
  1. Overview of Region 8 Programs
  2. EPA Region 8 Fact Sheets
  3. National Monitoring Assessment Approach
  4. Charlie Peters presentation on monitoring framework
  5. Overview of Park Service Programs
  6. NWS Advanced Hydrologic Prediction Services and
  7. NWS Advanced Hydrologic Prediction Services
  8. CWQMC information and brochure
  9. Lab Handouts (newsletter, field notes form, fact sheets)
  10. Tribal information
  11. Tribal Communications/ACWI issues
  12. 2002 National Monitoring Conference evaluation form
  13. ACWI Action Items from April 2002
  14. Year of Clean Water Brochure
  15. NWQMC letter for support of National Water Monitoring Day
  16. EPA/USGS Agreement
  17. Recommendation to NWQMC re EPA/USGS Agreemnt
  18. Letter to USGS/EPA re compatibility issues with NWIS and STORET
  19. Letter of Fred Banach in support of Representative Ron Kind's proposed "Upper Mississippi Basin Conservation Act"
  20. Letter re IMPACT articles

Attendees:
Bill Backous
Jim Laine, Alternate Region 3
Jim Cox
Fred Banach
Linda Green
Jeff Loser
Gregg Gross
Peter Tennant
Hal Stanford
Geoffrey Ekechukwu
Mary Ambrose
Charlie Peters
Robert Ward
Barry Long
Judy Griffin
Al Korndoerfer
Don Dycus
Gail Mallard
Chuck Spooner
Toni Johnson
Karl Muessig
Herb Brass
Jim Harvey
Steve Walker
Lyle Cowles

Guests:
Bill Horak, U.S. Geological Survey
Nat Miullo, EPA
Tony Selle, EPA
Arne Sjodini, EPA
Juliane Brown, USGS
Don Campbell, USGS
Mitra Jhq
Karen Klima, EPA
Joan Carlson, U.S. Forest Service
Janice Ward, U.S. Geological Survey
Charles Sutfin, EPA
Deborah Patton, Inter-Tribal Council of Arizona, Inc.
Holly Huyck, Colorado Water Quality Monitoring Council
Abby Markowitz, Tetratech, Inc.
Randy Brown, EPA
Tim Miller, USGS
Gary Rosenlieb, National Park Service
Bill Jackson, National Park Service

PARTICIPANTS TO FIELD TRIP AT NATIONAL WATER QUALITY LABORATORY, USGS,
DENVER FEDERAL CENTER:
Bill Backous
Jim Laine
Jim Cox
Fred Banach
Linda Green
Jeff Loser
Deborah Patton
Greg Gross
Peter Tennant
Geoffrey Ekechukwu
Mary Ambrose
Karl Muessig
Robert Ward
Barry Long
Al Korndoerfer
Don Dycus
Gail Mallard
Chuck Spooner
Mitra Jhq
Nat Miullo
Joan Carlson
Karen Klima
Jill Minter
Jim Harvey
David Denig-Chakroff
Steve Walker
Judy Griffin



Take Pride in America HomepageUSAGov: Government Made Easy U.S. Department of the Interior, U.S. Geological Survey
This page is maintained by NWQMC Webmaster
Privacy statement || Disclaimer
http://acwi.gov/monitoring/minutes/co_071902.html
Thursday, 10-Jan-2013 09:08:08 EST